08 June 2013

Welcome To Your New Home, My Barbies!!

A few weekends ago, Mr Yap and myself were very busy with our new wardrobes! The first thing I did was moving my barbies into their new home.

It’s a simple wardrobe, nothing fancy, but the best part was that we could choose the shelving we preferred… and I chose mine with the sole aim to house as many Barbies as I could, as well as clothes!


My Barbies now have a more specious home. Even though there are still some of them hidden behind, at least most of my favourite designer collectibles can now be seen!

Every Barbie of mine holds a special meaning…

I grew up with Barbies. Even through my tomboy days, my Barbies were stashed in a box at the back of my cupboard, one that I frequently visited. Each one of my Barbies had a name, and each one of them had a unique fashion style. To me, Barbies are the most fashionable dolls and I love buying clothes and shoes for them! My grandmother even sewed dresses for them following my design instructions.



The Start of the Addiction... 

One day in June 2007, I was drawn to the display in a toy shop at Serene centre. Before me stood the Giorgio Armani Barbie, dressed in an elegant grey strapless chiffon top and intricately beaded long skirt. There were also two Barbies dressed in their signature Juicy Couture tracksuits. Instantly, I fell in love with them. At the same time, I couldn’t resist a silkstone Robert Best Barbie in a cute 60s dress… as well as a Lady Camille Barbie. Her princess gown captivated me, and her curly locks were so unique, I couldn't resist.

Another one of my favourite Barbies is Versace. It's a brand that does not need introduction, but the dress that adorns Barbie is the same Versace dress Beyonce and Christina Aguilera wore, only smaller and of a different colour. Flowingly elegant but seductively sexy...

Also, my collection could not have been possible without the help of a friend, who received and re-courier my Amazon purchases all the way from US to Singapore! Without him, Kate Spade, Christian Louboutin shoes, Burberry, Versace Versus, two Christian DiorEscada, Oscar de la Renta, Calvin Klein, Givenchy, Donna Karen New York, Anna Sui, Hanae Mori would not have made it into my wardrobe!

Why did I buy two Christian Dior barbies? It's a funny story of carelessness, embarrassment and blessing. When my first Christian Dior arrived, she was bare foot :( I don't usually open my Barbie boxes in order to maintain their mint condition. I didn't dare to tell my husband that I ordered a Barbie without shoes and was lazy to go through the hassle of returning the package... so I ordered another one. But a few days before the second one arrived, I decided to open the first box and looked thoroughly. I found the pair of golden shoes tucked neatly below the Barbie stand within the box. So that's the story of my two Barbies and it was a blessing in disguise. Today, I have an opened Christian Dior Barbie standing among my boxes of Barbie and the intricacy of the beading on the Christian Dior dress deserves to be admired by touch!



But my ultimate favourite is my Vera Wang Barbie. Perhaps it's silly, I'm not even sure from what age onwards, whenever I hear of Vera Wang, I think of dream wedding dresses (the power of advertising). So when I saw this Barbie selling at Dollz Inc, I had to get it. This is my only Platinum edition doll in my collection, which means I'm one of 1000 privileged few who owns this Vera Wang Barbie... special? Being from a marketing background, I'm am constantly aware of the silly traps of marketing but I can't help falling!

My collection isn't complete.

I've still got a couple more in my wishlist... just waiting for some sellers to realise they've priced it too high!

Imagine Barbie covered in tattoos, funky skulls, bleached hair and edgy leopard leggings. That's gonna be my next doll, the iconic Tokidoki Barbie! His name is being mentioned on red carpets, in fashion magazines, and on style TV... he's Zac Posen and I want this Barbie couple!!

To complete my dream collection...

There is one Barbie missing from the Mattel family of designer Barbies, and that is none other than the legendary Louis Vuitton, one of my favourite brands...

No comments:

Post a Comment